Australia Promoting University Sector Under New Student Visa Rules
Based on review made by Hon Michael Knight, Australian Government announced new student visa process for specific subclasses. It is called streamlined visa processing. Under streamlined visa processing, irrespective of their country of residence, applicants applying in any Australian university in any of the below given programs will be treated as assessment level 1 applicants. Being assessment level one applicants, they will be required to provide less documentary evidences. The eligible intended programs for streamlined visa processing are;
- Bachelor degree
- 2 + 2 or 3 + 1 arrangements with partner universities
- Master degree by coursework
New student visa applications for any of theses programs, received on or after 24th March, 2012 will be assessed under streamlined visa processing. Though these implementations make university sector visa faster and lenient but it is subject to three existing clauses;
- Department of Immigration & Citizenship, Australia (DIAC) still has authority to treat individual applicants as per their circumstances.
- Health checks, security checks and Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) will be mandatory before entering Australia.
- Applicants belonged to special high risk geographical areas and minorities will be treated with respect to to their intention to get asylum after reaching Australia.
As per critiques, these new rules have empowered Australian University sector however they will be more careful to offer place to all new students and will assess strictly whether they are genuine temporary entrants and genuine student too.